January 21, 2013

Scams on OLX.in and Quikr.com

All of us know about Phishing and know how people coax you to give your bank information to fraudulently transfer your money after getting the bank account details. Today I came across a different type of phishing, the new modus operandi and new channels used to do Phishing.

I want to make all my blog readers aware the latest ways of phishing, I often sell equipment's on the popular websites like Quikr and OLX.  As usual yesterday I advertised equipment on Quikr yesterday (20th Jan 2013) and today on 21st I was received two interests for my product. I was amazed as to how fast I got the response for my AD. The interest shown looked genuine at the first look, and I responded with the details about the equipment's which I was selling. Later I got to know that the buyers who were interested to buy was from New Zealand and UK. Well that's what their email said.

I felt something fishy, cos why would any one from outside India would check Bangalore Quikr and show interest. On every email reply they stressed me giving my bank details. I immediately realized that it was a scam and new ways to get bank information. I did a quick search on the email address and got to know that the email address was for scamming. I want to warn all my friends who advertise on Quikr and OLX, never give your bank details for payment. Insist on personal pickup and DD or Cash transaction. 

Below find the emails from the Scammer. 
Email addresses: stuardharris575@gmail.com, olowofelix@yahoo.com

Message:  do you still have this item for sell???
Mobile: 
Email: stuardharris575@gmail.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message:  Hi 

Kindly let me know if this AD is for sale and get back to me with the final price. thanks
Mobile: 
Email: olowofelix@yahoo.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stuard Harris
3:24 PM (3 hours ago)

to me 
Hello seller,
           
     i really happy for answer my request back,so i just want to know the Price of the item and the condition of the item and i want you to tell me the total cost of the item plus + the shipping cost because i am buying the item  as a gift for my cousin,so i will like you to tell me the total cost and send me your full Bank information so that i can pay the money into your account as soon as i have the details from you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stuard Harris
4:11 PM (2 hours ago)

to me 
Here is the needed information from you below....
Account holder name:
Account number:
Bank name:
IBAN:
Swift code/BIC:
Total amount +shipping cost:
Bank code:
and this is my son Address that you will ship the
item
Name:Agnes Horne
Addres: 196 William Jones Drive               City:Whangarei
State:Otangarei
Country:New Zealand
Zip Code:0112
so get back to me with your full Bank details so that i
can contact my Bank for the Payment
I am waiting to read from you soon.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Felix Olowo 
Thanks for the mail... Am Mr Olowo Felix from United Kingdom and i
am happy to get this email from you and i will be happy to buy the
item for my wife as a New year gift from the aviation school in West
Africa. and i will offer you 40,500Rs for the  item and shipping via
(DHL EXPRESS). so i think with this offer,you should be able to end
the auction on me and also you should be satisfied and consider
selling it for me and i will pay you via Bank to Bank transfer. if my
offer is okay for you, send me your bank details as follow

Holder's Name..
Account Number...
Bank Name...
Swift Code...
Phone Number...

i will be happy if you can get this information back to me in order
for me to make the payment of the items asap... i hope to read from
you soon thanks and have a lovely day

Regards
Mr Olowo
+447011152621
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Felix Olowo 
Hello friend

     Thanks for the mail... i want you to know that i can only make the payment via Bank to bank transfer okay..so i will be happy if you can comply with me and send me your bank details so that i can make the payment asap.. thanks 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other email address from which you will receive such emails are.
iwaedaburu@yahoo.com
elizcarncuttiexxx@yahoo.com
babaoshi009@yahoo.com

Friends Beware when you get such email's Never ever give your bank details to anyone.

Updated: 11\3\2013

I have come across more scams on the olx.in and quikr.com, Scamming has taken to new levels not. Scammers haven't spared the online buying portals like olx.in and Quikr.com. I have heard from many people that sellers after taking money they are absconding or not receiving calls.
Here is one of those contact numbers of the Scammer as given by an olx user.
9728271158, 8059818907

post your experiences and contact numbers and email address, by replying if you have been scammed by scammers in olx and quikr.



No comments:

Post a Comment